For brand new stitchers who are curious about sewing or have a new machine that is intimidating, or if you haven’t sewn in a few years and want to get back into it and make sure you have the fundamentals before going on to our other classes. During our three sessions, you’ll learn everything about the setup and threading of your sewing machine, all basic machine sewing skills, plus using patterns and techniques for pinning, cutting, fabrics, use of sewing tools and supplies.
You’ll make an envelope back pillow cover and a fully lined cross body bag with zippered and lined pockets to put all those techniques and skills you’ve learned into practice!
WE SUPPORT YOU!
The Cloth Pocket Studio is proud to offer an Intro to Sewing course where one will learn:
- How to use a sewing machine (wind a bobbin, thread your machine, seams, hems, zippers, understand your machine’s features...)
- How to lay out a simple pattern on fabric
- Fabric cutting
- Fabric pinning
- How to properly use an iron
- Troubleshooting and clearing jams
- How to make an envelope pillow cover and a cross-body bag from start to finish!
This class will be taught by Niku Arbabi of xostitches.net
(those marked with * are available for sale at The Cloth Pocket at 10% off for those taking the course)
For the first day of class, you will need your sewing machine, tool kit, and pillow project supplies. You can wait until after our first session to purchase your bag project supplies.
-Sewing machine (one can be rented for $5 for the course)
If you’re bringing your own machine, make sure you have the foot pedal and power cord, manual, and bobbins that fit your machine.
For the pillow:
-*two ½ yard coordinating or contrasting fabrics yard medium weight woven cotton (Note: Must be a continuous 1/2 yard, no fat quarters.)
-*All purpose polyester coordinating thread
-*16” pillow form
For the bag:
- *1/2 yard outer bag fabric (broadcloth)
- *1/2 yard lining fabric (broadcloth)
(you can choose from either of these fabrics for your strap and for your pockets)
- *1 1/2 yards medium weight fusible interfacing
- *coordinating all-purpose polyester thread
- *all-purpose zipper at least 8" long
- *Wonder Tape (either Collins or Dritz brand but must be called “Wonder Tape”)
-zipper foot for your sewing machine
-*Fabric marking pen or tailor’s chalk - fine point
-*Extra sewing machine needles (size 80/12 and 90/14)
-*Clear grid drafting ruler
*-bobbins to fit your sewing machine
*-magnetic seam guide