For brand new stitchers who are curious about sewing or have a new machine that is intimidating, or if you haven’t sewn in a few years and want to get back into it and make sure you have the fundamentals before going on to our other classes. You’ll make a project in each session (an envelope back pillow cover and a cross body bag with optional zipper) to practice all the basic techniques and get to know your machine.
WE SUPPORT YOU!
The Cloth Pocket Studio is proud to offer an Intro to Sewing course where one will learn:
- How to use a sewing machine (wind a bobbin, thread your machine, features...)
- How to lay out a simple pattern on fabric
- Fabric cutting
- Fabric pinning
- How to properly use an iron
- Troubleshooting and clearing jams
- How to make an envelope pillow cover and a cross-body bag from start to finish!
This class will be taught by Niku Arbabi.
The course will take place over two days for three and a half hours each (seven hours total). It is designed to accommodate 4-8 students.
There are NO prerequisites for this course!!!
Sewing machines can be rented for $5 for the course. It is recommended that you bring a machine if you own one so that you may learn to sew on the machine that you'll be using the most.
Once you've successfully completed this course, you will be eligible to take any beginner sewing class at The Cloth Pocket Studio!
-*1/2 yard medium weight woven cotton or two fat quarters
-*All purpose polyester thread coordinating
-*16” pillow form
For the bag:
- *1/2 yard outer bag fabric (broadcloth)
- *1/2 yard lining fabric (broadcloth)
(you can choose either of these for your strap and for your pocket)
- *1/2 yard medium weight fusible interfacing
- *coordinating all-purpose polyester thread
Two pocket options: an outer pocket with piping effect or a zippered lined pocket.
For the zippered pocket please add:
- *all-purpose zipper at least 8" long
-*Fabric marking pen or tailor’s chalk
-*Extra sewing machine needles (size 80/12 and 90/14)
-*Clear grid ruler